Tuesday, August 3, 2010

For Daddy...

My wife, Danielle, sent me a text earlier today. It was a picture of my son standing next to a 1 1/2 foot tall Lego tower he made "for daddy". He had worked hard to stack up blocks as high as he could, as a present for me.

On my bookshelf behind my desk, I've got some pictures that my daughter made me. She tried her best to color in the lines and "make it pretty". I even have a couple of homemade picture frames and a fake plant that the kiddos have tossed my way at one time or another. They try so hard to show love and make me proud. I don't know if I enjoy doing anything as much as they enjoy giving stuff to me!

It's funny, when they give me something, all I want to do is give something back to them! I want to out give them! I'm Dad... I know how to do it. So I give them big "Dad-Sized" hugs and I buy them a new movie or let them have special snack. I do whatever I can to bless them back as much as they bless me!

I think we could learn something from my kids. They do those things because they love me, not because they think they have to.Their motives are pure, their purpose is clear. They want to express their love the best way they know how. And in return, it invokes in me the desire to give all my love to them in return.

The Bible says that's how it works with us and our Heavenly Daddy...

Psalm 37:4 says, "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart."

When we allow ourselves to be so full of love for Jesus that we think we'll burst if we don't show it, so we give of ourselves whatever we have to give, he feels our love. Then he does what most Dad's do... he outperforms us. He out gives us. He shows his love for us like only he can. 

When was the last time you gave a special gift to your heavenly Father? Nothing big, just a little something that you gave him... just because you love him.

Peyton's gift to me today was special because he loved me enough to make it for ME... and when I get home, I plan to make his night special. I'm going to return that love in a "Dad-Sized" way!

What little gift can you give to show how much you love your heavenly Dad?

2 comments:

  1. Loved this Josh! We miss our best friends & their awesome kiddos! Inspiring and well writen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a simple I love you from your child lights up your face. It made me think of how much I love hearing those very words from my family...this just made me think what it does for my Heavenly Father when I give Him praise & tell him that I love Him. Even though I know that my family loves me, the words just brighten my heart & makes it glow. Let's tell our Father everyday that we love Him. Well said Josh...well said.
    From a very proud Mother-in-law

    ReplyDelete