Thursday, September 9, 2010

Water, Candy, Gasoline, and Gorilla Suits...

Ok... I know how to change the world... we're going to need some supplies. Here we go:
 

*1,000 bottles of water
* a ton of candy bars
* about 6-8 gas pumps
*2-4 Gorilla suits

I know you may think that sounds like I'm making fun of MacGyver or something, but I can make a pretty good case that those ingredients can add up to world change. You see, over the last month we've been vamping up to the launch of Vantage Point Church at the Osage Center in Cape Girardeau, MO. God called the fine folks at First General Baptist Church to fund and execute this mission a few years back, and here we are today about to launch this ministry THIS SUNDAY (Sept. 12, 2010).

Long story short, we felt like God was telling us to let the area know we were here by serving them. So to promote our first message series "Guerrilla Love" we dressed up in gorilla costumes (It's a pun... funny right...) and bought $1,200.00 worth of gas for random unsuspecting patrons of the local AMERIMARKET gas station. The reaction was incredible. People could not believe that their gas was totally FREE! They were even more shocked when we asked for nothing in return.

Many of them asked why we would buy them a free tank of gas. Our standard reply was something like, "Well back in the day, Jesus showed his love for people by meeting their needs. We want to be like him, and it looks like you need some gas!" The best part is, it truly made these people's days. They left happier than when they pulled in. They experienced the Love of Jesus Christ at the gas pump. Many people told us they could get on board with a church that would take people's needs seriously and do this kind of thing. A few people even told us they'd be at church for our grand opening. But, everybody told us thank you... and they meant it.

We got pretty pumped up! So we took the gorilla suits on down to Southeast Missouri State University and handed out candy bars and bottles of water to students who were hurrying to class for 2 days. They students loved the candy, were refreshed by the water, and asked questions about our church. A few even entered into deep theological talks about Jesus and decided to come check out our grand opening. Most importantly though, those students got what they needed that day... a little taste of God's love for them.

I can't help but wonder what would happen if we all decided to go out tomorrow and help some complete stranger with something they need in the name of Jesus Christ. Isn't that what we are called to do anyway?

Matthew 25:34-40 says:

 34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
 40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

I'm a little bit embarrassed that I've not taken that passage as personally as I should have. After all, in our modern, media driven culture, we see people in need everyday. I don't know about you, but I've walked past or driven by plenty of needs that I probably could have met. Mostly because I was in a hurry, or wasn't paying attention. I don't think that's a very good excuse though. It's time for more from me... I know better. Come to think of it, you probably do too. Is it safe to say that you've not done very much to share the Love of Christ with the world?

You see, I think we've called ourselves Christians for years without really striving to live up to the word. I say we change that. Let's dare to show the love of Christ to our friends, our family, and even complete strangers. Let's ambush our towns with surprise attacks of love. Let's unleash Guerrilla Love on a lost and dying generation. Let's see lives changed... let's see the world changed! Are you with me?

Good!

You bring the candy bars... I've got the gorilla suits.

No comments:

Post a Comment